Thursday 21 November 2013

Bring on the Beauty | BB Creams


BB creams, Beauty Balms or Blemish Balms, whatever they are called, are similar to tinted moisturisers but with added bonuses. Originally dermatologists created these creams to be used by patients who have undergone laser skin surgery. In essence the idea was that cream provided genuine benefits for the skin as well as providing enough coverage to used as either a foundation or primer. Since there introduction into the European market in 2011 is has become common knowledge that these creams should provide moisturisation, SPF protection and sheer coverage alongside soothing and healing properties. The appeal of such a product is that it minimises the need to use numerous separate products. So if your like me they are a great time saving option for those mornings were you're running a tad late.

I have accumulated a few BB creams and have therefore decided it was time I shared my opinion on each. First just a list of the products and their approximate costs:
So obviously I have purchased all four in the shade medium but I was amazed on how varied the shade was. The Chi Chi and Maybelline shades were yellow based whilst the Rimmel was pink based. The Nude by Nature was in between but does lean more towards the pink. I have a yellow undertone so the pink based creams were not a great match for my skin tone however during the winter months the Nude by Nature was passable. I found that the Chi Chi was the perfect match for my skin tone. Therefore from this I can safely say that not all mediums are the same and that is definitely worth taking the time to swatch them before you buy.


Consistency wise, again they varied. On one hand you have the Rimmel 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup (SPF 25) which is very thick and then the other Maybelline Dream Fresh 8-in-1 BB Cream which is extremely watery. I like my BB cream to be in the middle thick but not too thick, which is how I would describe the Chi Chi Super BB Cream (SPF 30). Since I mentioned the other three it is only right that I comment on the Nude by Nature Miracle Cream (Natural Sunscreen). It has a slight mouse texture which means it is 'thick' but is still very light.

Moving on to coverage. Maybelline Dream Fresh was very sheer and leaves the skin looking extremely natural. If your looking for a high coverage cream this is not the way to go but if you just need to even out the skin tone (and protect etc.) than Maybelline's BB cream is fine. Next we have the Nude by Nature BB cream which had quite good coverage but after an hour or so would begin to break down up clump (for lack of a better word) on my cheeks and nose. I'm not sure why this happened but it is not what you want to happen. I did not really take much notice of the coverage of the Rimmel BB cream because the shade was just so off, I couldn't wear it. However as it is the thickest I assume it would have fullish coverage. And finally Chi Chi's Super BB Cream. First off let me just say that this is my favourite BB cream. The coverage is excellent, even for under the eye area where I tend to be quite dark. The only criticism I have is that is it quite a dewy finish, which I don't really like, so I just set it with a loose powder.

So with all that being said I definitely recommend Chi Chi's Super BB Cream, and if you are looking for a more sheer coverage then Maybelline's Dream Fresh BB Cream is the way to go. I know that the Chi Chi is the most expensive of the four, but you definitely get what you pay for and considering it is the largest bottle it does last a long time. I love my BB creams for use on an everyday basis, so I hope that this review has helped those of you who are new to them or are looking for a new cream.

So until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment